Monday, March 19, 2012

St. Patricks Day meal

Things don't always go according to plan.
Case in point, this was going to be a big deal meal. Then the guest of honor was MIA, so there you have it.
Rather than a multi course, all Irish, bread included, I scaled down some and made one "traditional" side and an entree that was heavy on the green.
The Colcannon Puffs from fatfreevegan.com were to die for. Just amazing. Once again, I used the Kale salad mix for the called for vegetable  with outstanding results. Although mine did flatten a bit, they were a winner.
The main event was a Spaghetti Squash Casserole, from Peas and Thank You.
Over the years, the Spaghetti Squash and I have had our run ins. I really want to love this veggie, and have attempted many times to find that winner meal. Until now, I was left empty handed.
This is a real simple, yet incredibly yummy creation. The keys to success here are the choices on Marinara Sauce, brand of non-dairy cream cheese, and the cheese for the topping.
Feeling a bit adventurous, I went with making my own cheeses, using recopies from the Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook.
The dish turned out great, satisfying and bursting with flavor and texture.
Plans do change, but that did not stop us from having a wonderful meal.

1 comment:

  1. I'm all squash challenged. It's great to hear that there is hope!

    ReplyDelete